I’ve been wanting to try a mug cake using my chocolate Shakeology. It’s fun to find different ways to eat it. I always start my morning with my shakeo, but today was a complete vegan day. I hadn’t planned on it, but I ended up making two different types of salads: a microgreen salad for lunch and a Vietnamese (brown) rice noodle salad for dinner. I felt a little cheated for not having and more protein in my meal, so I decided to make a mug cake. Now, when you heat food over 116F degrees you do destroy its nutrients and enzymes (according to Beachbody’s website). So do it at your own risk.
I didn’t want to waste my shakeo if it turned out awful, so I looked at the recipes and my Beachbody friends’ feedback. I made it the other night and it came out well, but tonight I forgot to add the coconut oil and it still came out well, which I’m glad I can save myself from the unnecessary calories. It makes a lot. It’s easily shareable. I pulled mine out of the mug to show the height and to see the texture and density. It’s a little on the dry side, so maybe the coconut oil addition might help that, but it’s a healthy dessert so…
Now onto the recipe…
Chocolate Shakeology Mug Cake with Chocolate Peanut Butter sauce
- 1 scoop chocolate Shakeology (I prefer vegan)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey or agave, and to taste)
- Water, optional
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil, optional
- 1 tbsp Chocolate PB2
- Variations: egg white only, dash of cayenne, 1/4 tsp espresso powder, 1/4 tsp caramel extract, 1/8 tsp peppermint extract, cocoa powder, dark chocolate chunks
- Optional toppings: chopped peanuts, cacao nibs, cocoa powder
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a 12 oz or larger mug. Then add in baking powder, cinnamon, and Shakeology. Add a little water if it’s too thick.
- Cook on high in microwave for 60 seconds.
- Mix chocolate PB2 with a little water until the consistency is just right. Drizzle over cake and add optional toppings.